Sunday, April 6, 2014

I Began My Day with a Conversation with God..

I began my morning with a  heartfelt conversation with God. I went to the Chapel. No one was there so I sat on the stairs and made myself comfortable. I prayed and asked God to provide the workers at the clinic with the skills and knowledge to make the most perfect chair for each child. I also prayed for the children--that these wheelchairs would change their lives and give them opportunities that they have never experienced before, such as going to school, playing outside, and attending church services.















I experienced tears of joy today because there was a 10 year old boy, who for the first time, through the use of his new wheelchair was able to move on his own. His mother experienced the same joy that any mother would feel watching their son crawling or walking for the first time; she had tears of joy too. It was a beautiful moment and I'm grateful I was there to witness it.



It is difficult to imagine a 2 year old child being smaller than any of my three children when they were born.

A mother with 4 children came to the seating clinic in Jalapa. I had gone outside the clinic where people were waiting and saw the children. I gave each child a small toy. There was such sadness in their eyes.



I never once thought that the infant she was holding in her arms was 2 years old. I asked why the child was so small and the response was "malnutrition." I heard her town Mayor plans to give her some chicken to help her. I'm pretty sure she needs much more than chickens but it's a start.

Lea Ann said there were children with conditions that OT and PTs may only see once in their careers at the last two clinics.  Her students will be far more advanced than other students because of their experiences fitting these children into their perfect chairs. Several children had signs of congenital and neuromuscular scoliosis. None of these children had received the necessary surgery or physical therapy, and as a result, they had permanent spine and nerve damage. There was also an unusual number of children who had dystonia.


I was able to meet and have my photo taken with the child I donated a wheelchair to. Her name is Diana and she's cute a button! I loved her lovely wee dress and pink shoes! You could tell she loved them too and her new chair!! Words cannot express fully the pure joy that I felt meeting her.






The family we visited the day before arrived at the clinic. His sister received a wheelchair and Dick and his team of students worked with her brother, Ody.

Ody was struggling with being
out of his home. The stress was too much for him and he had multiple seizures. Dick had him moved to a quieter room across the courtyard and it appeared to help. By the end of the day, Ody had his sister, Kenia, had their wheelchairs and their parents were so happy!





There were people of all ages who came to the clinic to receive a wheelchair. The town arranged for a clown to entertain everyone. The clown and music was fun but the work had to go on. It wasn't long before the clown jumped in and began helping!




Here are some of my favorite photos from the seating clinic in Jalapa..  I hope you enjoy them.














1 comment:

  1. Isabel, believe He did hear your heartfelt, selfless prayers.

    ReplyDelete