Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Oh Antigua - How I Love Your Sweet Chocolate!

I have an interview with a reporter from the Freelance Star on Monday to talk about Wheelchairs for Kids International; a business lunch with Mark Richard from Hope Haven tomorrow; breakfast coming up with Senator Harkin, and then I'm heading to north to present at a conference. I welcome any and all opportunities to share my experience in Guatemala and other countries, and to talk about the Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities and why the U.S. should ratify it now. It feels good to stay busy. My heart aches for the colorful textiles, the pleasant Guatemalan surprises, and, of course, the beautiful smiles of children when they receive their wheelchairs...

The End of a Good Day - Antigua

After the first clinic at the Hope Haven facility we returned to the Guest House. The staff had prepared a delicious lunch. It tasted like Shepard's pie but it was missing the peas. We climbed into the buses and went to Antigua for a nice afternoon of sight seeing.


One of the most interesting places  was the Jade shop tour at Casa Del Jade. When you enter, you receive a guide who talks to you about the different types of jade and then shows you some museum pieces. Who knew there were so many different types of jade?! I certainly didn't..





To the right is a photo of the Mayan calendar that I took. You probably remember all the fuss back in December, 2012, when we thought the world might end because the Mayan calendar ended. It's probably one of the best doomsday prophesies around. Well folks, the Mayan people have always known the world wouldn't end. We learned this during our tour. The calendar just starts over! Good grief! It would have been nice if someone (HELLO Guatemala!) had shared that with the rest of the world. It's not as though I ran off and did something drastic in December, 2012, but I could have. I really, really could have!  Life is short; live life to the fullest, right?! Pass the chocolate!

Speaking of chocolate..


Antigua also has a chocolate tour. I didn't see any cocoa trees in Guatemala. If I did, I would have yelled "Stop the Bus!" and tied myself to the tree. After all, when translated it's the "food of the Gods." I'm not really sure if that's true but I'd like to think it is.. The aroma of the store pulls you in and then you're hooked when they offer you  a few button-sized pieces of chocolate. I wondered if it would be rude if I grabbed the glass bowl filled with chocolate and licked it clean. Yes, it was that good.. I browsed around the chocolate goodies on the shelves. Did you know there's such a thing as Axe men's chocolate scented body spray? Oh my... Every American man should be glad it has not hit the shelves in Walmart..

Behind the chocolate shop there was a courtyard with stores. We welcomed some stress free shopping. I picked up a couple of frames to display my favorite photographs from the trip. Brad and I strolled through some art galleries pointing to our favorite pieces. The one I chose was a painting of a young Guatemalan child. It was incredible. I regret not buying it..





Later, we went to the fabulous "MonoLoco" restaurant for dinner. It's not accessible but that didn't stop Tom!! Good fun was had by all!! I had fajitas, and enjoyed getting to know everyone a little more.















No comments:

Post a Comment