Friday, April 4, 2014

The Guatemalan Odyssey

Up, Up & Away!! To Jalapa & Beyond!


I'm not really sure how long it took us to get to Jalapa. I know it was a couple of hours. I rode in Dick Rutger's car (with wifi!) along with Brad and Lea Ann (University of Missouri Professor). There were lots of hills, winding roads, and amazing scenic views.  I think I saw a Drug Lord's home but I'm not sure. It was quite the estate..  Anyway, I was content listening to Dick, having a giggle with Lea Ann, checking Facebook, and touching base with friends and family at home.

We weren't really sure where we were heading except that we knew were going to Jalapa. I never received a formal agenda but I knew our Hope Haven host probably had everything under control. A left turn down a tree-lined road and we finally arrived at the Centro Discesano in Jalapa.

The Centro Discensano is a retreat for Catholic Priests that is managed by nuns. We had the privilege of staying there for one night. It was a large gated facility with spotless rooms. I thought it was super cute that each room had 2 beds with matching blankets. My blanket had a lion's face on it. I heard someone else say they got the dolphin blankets. I thought about Guatemalan Priests getting tucked into their themed fuzzy blankets and had a good chuckle to myself.





Carlos Sandoval Cabrera Speaking to the Group
After we dropped off our bags in our rooms we went to the hall where we would be conducting the seating clinic the next day. It was clean, spacious and perfect for the work that was to be done. The wheelchairs had arrived and we received a warm welcome from our Jalapa sponsor, Carlos Sandoval Cabrera.



Visiting a Guatemalan Family

Shortly thereafter, we left the retreat and headed for a home visit to meet a family who would be attending the seating clinic the next day. Well, really, we thought we were going for lunch first and then going to see the family. There was a little confusion but it was fine.. I think I've realized now that it's the Guatemalan way, and to quote Matt Richard-- you should just "ride the wave."

We arrived at the home of one of the families, and as we approached, I wondered if we might be overwhelming the family with the number of people we had in our group. They were so gracious and hospitable. The father pulled out some garden chairs for us to sit in. Students took turns going into the family's living room to see the young man, Ody, and to listen to Dick discuss what he thought the best seating arrangement would be for him (stay tuned for my upcoming blog titled "All About Dick..")

I wondered about Ody and his quality of life. His mother took excellent care of him. He had no pressure sores which is common for adults with his type of disability. Did he ever leave the house? How did the family go anywhere with an adult family member that had no wheelchair? It was a good feeling to know that the chair Ody would receive the next day would change his life forever.

I never realized that the young man's sister, Kenya, also had a disability and would also be attending the seating clinic. Her needs were not as significant as her brother's. She appeared to also have a developmental delay and could walk a few steps with assistance. The number of people visiting that day was very overwhelming for her. She was very shy.

After sitting in the car for a long time that day I decided to walk around outside the house. I had never visited a Guatemalan home before. 

An outdoor oven.
Laundry Hanging on the Line


Rainwater collection system.

Seeing the clothing hanging on the laundry line reminded me of my childhood in Scotland--most of the laundry was hung out to dry or it was hung from a pulley system indoors when it rained. It was a luxury to finally get a dryer. Everyone collects rain water in Guatemala and its used for everything. I saw two barrels of water beside concrete sinks with ridges in them (built-in wash board) that were used for washing clothes. Sadly, I saw no water purification system..

After our visit, we got back in the vehicles and headed for the San Luis Jilotepeque Municipality for lunch and other activities. And so, the Odyssey continued... Remember, just "ride the wave!!!"


_________________________________________________________________________
Donations change the lives of children with disabilities all over the world. If 100 people donate just $20 each then 6-8 children will receive wheelchairs. Please visit Wheelchairs for Kids International and learn how you can make a difference; help a child go to school; play with their friends, and just be kids..

Visit: http://kidchairs4life.org/WFKIDonate.html

No comments:

Post a Comment